Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

(In)Despicable Me




She said to me, "Go steady on me.

Won't you tell me what the Wise Men said?

When they came down from Heaven,

Smoked nine 'til seven,
All the shit that they could find,
But they couldn't escape from you,
Couldn't be free of you,
And now they know there's no way out,
And they're really sorry now for what they've done,
They were three Wise Men just trying to have some fun."


James Blunt - Three Wise Men 

What is it that intrigues women, makes them swoon, go weak in the knees and want to tame the “bad boy”?
He is suave, he is smooth and he doesn’t care. Unless he does. If he spots you and his hawk-eyes pin you as the next prey, beware. He will get you the moon if he has to, to get his one-night stand (in rare situations, he might extend it to a few days, weeks ,...stop. Haven’t you understood yet? There are no months in this calendar). However, he won’t have to try so hard. He has been blessed with charm enough to last him a lifetime.

Gentlemen, I'm sure we can sort this out amicably. Look at it this way: if you could do what I could do, you'd do it too! But you can't. I can. And I have. And I'll do it again. So you should be happy for me, just a little tiny bit, don't you think?
—David Tennant as Casanova in the 2005 BBC adaptation

Funny thing. When I read this,my brain wired me: "well said". Neil Patrick Harris as Barney Stintson is first and foremost a total casanova on television’s hit show, How I Met Your Mother. He prides himself on his women-wooing and “bedding” record, he maintains a book and video records his conquests. Gross, you’d think! He loves playing laser tag and falls in love with Robin.

Explaining his strategy for Halloween parties: “Every Halloween, I bring a spare costume, in case I strike out with the hottest girl at the party. That way, I have a second chance to make a first impression.”

Charlie Harper of Two and a half men.Makes no bones about the nitwit “bimbo” blondes he brings back home. Mindless, meaningless gratification of a physical need. He has no idea of how the Internet and web pages work (Ha,I can write a blog !) and falls in love with Mia.

Berta: End of era, huh charlie?

Charlie: Yep. From now on, no brother, no nephew. Just the sounds of the ocean punctuated by the soft voices of prostitutes lying about the enormity of my sexual organ.

Berta: You do know how to paint a picture

Charlie: What can I say, i have the heart of a poet.
Berta: Unfortunately the rest of you is a drunken scumbag


Joey Tribbiani. Ask me once more “How I’m doing” and I’ll hit you right across the face”,is what women should have said. But even those who should have known better, are susceptible to this childman. He doesn’t like sharing food and falls in love with Rachael.

Joey: It's never taken me more than a week to get over a relationship.

Monica: It's never taken you more than a shower to get over a relationship


Now that we know them a little, let’s be objective in our approach.
Specimen: Man with strong predator instincts and a multiple partner system (Yea, that’s an invented theory. I’m not taking questions now, we’ll discuss this later)
History: Could have had possible anal issues (that’s all Freud), rejection from parents, bullied by siblings, and that sort.
Trigger: That one unrequited love
Solution: All you need is love (add a few vices every now and then to maintain balance)

These men in suits /shorts holding their scotch and being so impressive. We would like to believe there’s more to them than meets the eye, that they are not shallow. Like all 3 of them, they will fall in love.
What if we are wrong? What if they are the ones living up to their own standards and dreams. No promises, no societal norms followed or boundaries set. Is it necessary to be defined by the kind of relationships we form? It comes so easily to us to stereotype men like these as the “bad” or “wrong” guys. Isn’t it stunning that they aren’t scared of being alone, like most of us? And they do not feel compelled to form relationships for the fear of getting lonely.
Well, that’s something to chew on, eh? So long.




2 comments:

  1. Excellent. You make me want to comment, although I don't know what to comment.

    ReplyDelete