Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Episode "Wise"








I am going to try and put into words what most of us know already (hopefully) about sitcoms. Here's something I'd like to start with : 


Friends Season Seven-The One With Chandler and Monica’s Wedding

Ross: (To Chandler)I need to talk to you about something.
Chandler: What’s up?
Ross: Well this uh, this may be a little awkward.
Chandler: Listen, if you want to borrow money, its kind of a bad time. I’m buying dinner for 128 people tomorrow night.
Ross: No, its…Its not that. Umm, now what I’m going to say to you, I’m not saying as your friend. Okay? I’m-I’m saying as it as Monica’s older brother.
Chandler: But you’re still my friend?
Ross: Not for the next few minutes.
Chandler: During this time…are you, are you still my best man?
Ross: Nope.
Chandler: Do I still call you Ross?
Ross: Okay! You guys are getting married tomorrow and-and I couldn’t be more thrilled for both of you, but as Monica’s older brother I-I have to tell you this. If you ever hurt my little sister, if you ever cause her any unhappiness of any kind, I will hunt you down and kick your ass! (Chandler laughs.) What? I’m-I’m-I’m serious! (Chandler laughs harder.) Come—Hey! Dude! Stop it! Okay? I’m-I’m not kidding here!
Chandler: (smiling) Hey, I hear what your saying, okay? And, thanks for the warning.
Ross: No problem.
Chandler: So are we…friends again?
Ross: Yeah.
Chandler: Okay. (Pause) You won’t believe what Monica’s older brother just said to me!

This is one of the best examples of what a sitcom does. The “sit” being important here, it creates a situation.In this scene, it is a brother talking to his best friend who is engaged to his sister. What keeps the audience hooked on (besides well timed and well placed humor) is the connection they feel with the situations and characters involved .We start to relate to the characters, look forward to knowing how their situation turns out. On the flip side, if the situation drags on, wham! Bored. Next.

Another situation that always works in keeping the audience right there:a romantic one. Throw in all the stages: awkward glances, high school tension or secret rendezvous, the proposal, break up. Most of us have been there and we want to know what this guy / girl is going to do next. Is her heart going to break? With “just-right” background tracks you are right there feeling that emotion. We have a Ted, Barney and a Marshall. Take your pick and be anyone of them and right there you have a friend. Now,lay back and have a good laugh as you experience and learn. Yup, that's another thing. In case your feeling guilty about missing your date with let's say an actual date ( I mean you're reading a blog on sitcoms so not sure if that happens often) or an assignment date because you could not stop watching these addictive sitcoms , Don't.You are learning some important lessons of life without actually making those mistakes.

The other kind of sitcom is the Simpsons , the longest-running American sitcom .What gives? It questions and mocks all of us. Seen the episode of Lisa’s obsession over a particular brand of gadgets named after a fruit? Yup, it helps you laugh at yourself and see the futility of things we fuss over and worry about. With idioms and words from the show included in the Oxford Dictionary, this one has a long way to go.

To sum it up, this little preachy session was essential to substantiate the existence of this blog.Next, we plan to dissect the irresistible charm of the baddies: Charlie Sheen and his tribe. Stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment